A mouth-watering breakfast option that never gets old is a ham and cheese omelette. The classic combination of salty ham and melted cheese nestled within fluffy eggs is a recipe for deliciousness. It's a quick and easy meal that is both filling and satisfying, making it the perfect choice for busy mornings or lazy weekends.
The beauty of the ham and cheese omelette is that it's completely customizable to your taste preferences, so feel free to add some veggies or swap out the ham for bacon or sausage. No matter how you choose to make it, this breakfast staple is sure to leave you feeling satisfied and ready to start your day.
Starting your day off with a hearty breakfast is a great way to jumpstart your metabolism
Starting the day with a healthy breakfast is important for maintaining energy and mental focus throughout the day. A classic Ham and Cheese Omelette may seem like a great way to kickstart your morning, but just how healthy is it? While eggs provide essential protein and nutrients, the high levels of saturated fat in ham and cheese can increase cholesterol levels if consumed in excess. However, if made with low-fat cheese and lean ham, a Ham and Cheese Omelette can be a nutritious and satisfying breakfast option that can keep you going until lunch. As with any meal, moderation, and portion control are key to a balanced and healthy diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- Starting your day off with a hearty breakfast is a great way to jumpstart your metabolism
- Ingredients needed to make Ham & Cheese Omelette
- Instructions for making Ham & Cheese Omelette
- Variations on the Ham & Cheese Omelette recipe
- Equipment used in making the Ham & Cheese Omelette
- Storage for the Ham & Cheese Omelette
- Top tips when making Ham & Cheese Omelette
- Easy To Make Ham & Cheese Omelet
Ingredients needed to make Ham & Cheese Omelette
- 2 T. unsalted butter, divided
- 6 oz cooked lean ham, diced (preferably Low sodium )
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ c. whole milk
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ( preferably Low Fat )
- Optional garnish: sliced grape tomatoes and fresh basil sprigs
Instructions for making Ham & Cheese Omelette
- Add one tablespoon of butter and diced ham to a large non-stick skillet and set over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the ham develops some color and is heated for approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the ham to a small plate and set aside. Return the skillet to the cooktop and reduce heat to low.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom as it melts. Pour in the egg mixture and tip the skillet in each direction to create an even layer.
Tip: Before the egg mixture fully “sets,” push the edges back with a spatula and again tip the skillet in each direction to allow more of the egg mixture to contact the hot surface.
- Once the egg starts to set, add the ham and shredded cheddar cheese evenly across the surface. Cover the skillet with a lid until the cheese starts to melt and the egg is mostly cooked through approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and carefully flip half the omelet on top of the other half with a spatula. Cover and cook for an additional minute or two to ensure the omelet is cooked through and the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and cut the omelet in half with a plastic spatula. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with a couple of sliced tomatoes and sprigs of fresh basil if desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the Ham & Cheese Omelette recipe
Are you tired of the same old ham and cheese omelette recipe? Shake things up with some simple variations! For a Mediterranean twist, add some diced tomatoes, feta cheese, and fresh herbs like basil and oregano. Feeling spicy? Throw in some jalapeños and pepper jack cheese for a Tex-Mex flair. Want to get your veggies in? Sauté some diced bell peppers, onions, and spinach before adding in the ham and cheese. The possibilities are endless! Don't be afraid to experiment and make this classic breakfast dish your own.
Equipment used in making the Ham & Cheese Omelette
Storage for the Ham & Cheese Omelette
Ah, the beloved Ham and Cheese Omelette. The perfect breakfast meal for those on the go or those who simply love breakfast food at any time of the day. But what do you do when you can't finish the entire omelette in one sitting? Can it be stored for later? Absolutely! If the omelette has been properly cooked, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container and reheat it thoroughly before eating. So don't feel guilty about making a little extra omelette for tomorrow's breakfast, you've got a few days to enjoy it!
Top tips when making Ham & Cheese Omelette
The classic ham and cheese omelette is a breakfast staple that is loved by many. However, to make the ultimate ham and cheese omelette, there are a few key tips to keep in mind. First, when whisking your eggs, don't be afraid to add a splash of milk or cream for extra creaminess. Next, be sure to cook your ham and cheese separately before adding them to your eggs for the perfect filling. And finally, when it comes to folding your omelette, use a spatula to gently lift and fold the edges over, allowing the cheese to melt and the ham to heat through. With these top tips in mind, you'll be able to create a mouthwatering ham and cheese omelette every time.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: