If you're looking for a breakfast recipe that's low carb and incredibly delicious, Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese and Chives may be just what you're looking for. This recipe is simple yet elegant, creating fluffy egg whites with creamy yolks dripping onto a bed of cheese atop toast.
A sprinkle of chives adds the perfect amount of onion-y flavor to complete this savory meal. Best of all, it only takes minutes to prepare; simply mix together the egg whites, season with salt and pepper, spread onto toasted bread, top with cheese and chives, then bake in the oven until your cloud eggs reach perfection. Perfect for an easy brunch or a leisurely Sunday morning breakfast at home!
Cloud eggs with Asiago cheese and chives make for the perfect low-carb breakfast
Cloud eggs with Asiago cheese and chives make for the perfect low-carb breakfast recipe! Not only is this dish packed with protein, but the combination of cheese and herbs offers a unique taste sensation that's sure to please everyone. The simplicity of the recipe also makes it easy to prepare, not requiring much more than a few basic ingredients and a mixer. Not only does it taste great, but cloud eggs are also fun and interesting--who wouldn't want to try out such a whimsical take on an old classic? So if you're looking for something new and indulgent for your next breakfast meal, look no further: Cloud eggs with Asiago cheese and chives is sure to hit the spot!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 6 minutes
- Cloud eggs with Asiago cheese and chives make for the perfect low-carb breakfast
- Ingredients needed to make the Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese
- Instructions for making the Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese
- Variations for the Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese
- Top tip
- Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese & Chives are Amazing
Ingredients needed to make the Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese
4 large eggs
3 oz. Asiago cheese, finely grated, divided
3 T. fresh chives, finely chopped, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Instructions for making the Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese
- Position oven rack to center position. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Crack and separate eggs, placing the whites in a large mixing bowl and reserving the yolks in another bowl.* Season egg whites with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula while blending to incorporate all of the egg white.
- Gently fold in ⅔ of the Asiago cheese and chives into the bowl, being careful not to deflate the egg whites in the process. Spoon the whipped egg white mixture onto the prepared baking sheet into four piles, leaving plenty of room between each mound. With the back of a spoon, create an indent in the center of each mound and place baking sheet on center rack in preheated oven and bake for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, remove from oven and transfer reserved yolks into the indent of each mount. Sprinkle each mound with half of the remaining cheese and fresh chives and return to oven and bake another 3 minutes or until yolks are set and egg whites are golden brown.
Remove egg clouds from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese and chives and serve immediately.
Variations for the Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese
If you're looking for variations on the classic Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese & Chives recipe, there are plenty of options to choose from. Instead of asiago cheese and chives, why not top your cloud eggs with freshly grated sharp cheddar? Adding diced bell pepper or mushrooms to the egg whites while they whip can create a colorful dish with more flavor. You could also experiment by adding herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or thyme for a more robust breakfast than the traditional recipe allows. For those watching their carb intake, why not forego bread altogether and serve these low-carb variations of cloud eggs in a bed of greens? By simply making a few variations to this delicious recipe, you can enjoy cloud eggs in any way imaginable!
*For best results, reserve the egg yolks in small, individual dishes rather than in one larger bowl.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: