Looking for a recipe that will please the whole family? Try this Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon recipe. It's easy to make and can be cooked in your slow cooker while you're busy with other things.
Simply combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker, set it on low, and let it cook for 6-8 hours. The bacon adds a delicious smoky flavor to the beans, and the molasses gives them a rich sweetness. Serve these beans as a side dish or main course, and enjoy!
What is so good about Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon?
There are many things that make Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon so good. First, the slow cooker allows the beans to cook slowly and evenly, resulting in a dish that is packed with flavor. Secondly, the bacon adds a delicious smoky flavor that complements the beans perfectly. Finally, the slow cooking process helps to soften the beans, making them incredibly easy to eat. Whether you're looking for a hearty side dish or a simple snack, Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon is sure to hit the spot.
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ 10-15 minutes to brown bacon)
Cook time: 4 hours high or 8 hours on low
Ingredients needed to make Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon
- 16-oz. thick-cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 15.5-oz. can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5-oz. can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15.5-oz. cans of great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-oz. cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 T. sugar-free Dijon mustard
- ¼ t. gluten-free liquid smoke
- 1 c. real maple syrup
- 2 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
Instructions on making Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon
- Add chopped bacon and onion to a large skillet. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook over medium heat until bacon starts to get crispy and the onion is soft, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and carefully drain excess grease. Set aside.
- Add the beans, bacon, and onion to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker crock. Top with the tomato paste, Dijon mustard, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and chicken broth, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Remove lid and stir to combine. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, before serving. Enjoy!
One of the great things about baked beans is that there are so many variations you can make. Whether you want to add a little bit of spice or go for a more traditional flavor, there's a way to make Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon that will suit your taste. Here are just a few of the variations you can try:
- For a smokey flavor, try adding some smoked paprika to the beans.
- If you like things spicy, add some diced jalapeños or chopped onions to the mix.
- For a sweeter taste, stir in some brown sugar or molasses before cooking.
- Or, for a more savory flavor, try adding bacon or sausage to the beans.
With so many options to choose from, you can make Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon that are perfect for any occasion. So get creative and experiment with different flavors until you find the perfect combination for your next meal.
Store the wet ingredients (lettuce, tomato, onion) separately from the dry ingredients (buns) in the fridge, and recombine when ready. Good for 2-3 days.
These ingredients do/don't stand up well to freezing for X days/weeks/months.
Top tips for making Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon? Here are some tips to get you started:
- Start by cooking the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the onions to the bacon fat and cook until softened.
- Stir in the beans, maple syrup, mustard, and brown sugar.
- Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Top with the cooked bacon and serve. Enjoy!