Sear up one delicious skillet dish with Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops! This one-skillet recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight--all you need is one pan to whip up this savory and mouthwatering meal.
The pork chops are smothered in a blend of garlic, onions, and tomatoes, with classic flavors like oregano and paprika bringing the taste of the Mediterranean to your kitchen. When it's done cooking, let all that flavor melt together for one tasty dinner that everyone will fall in love with.
Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops is an extraordinarily delicious way to enjoy pork chops.
With Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops, you can easily whip up your favorite savory dish in just one skillet with ease! This popular recipe is an extraordinarily delicious way to enjoy pork chops, as it is tender and juicy with a unique taste of Mediterranean flavors. The combination of hearty tomatoes, onions, olives and feta cheese create an unforgettable combination for anyone who craves something special. Whether served as a main course or side dish, this stunning pork chop dish will make you realize why it is so beloved to many!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops
- 4 6-oz. boneless pork chops
- ½ t. garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 t. dried oregano
- ½ t. dried thyme
- ¼ c. Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
Instructions for making Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops
- Remove pork chops from the refrigerator and pat dry with a paper towel. Lightly season both sides of each chop with the garlic powder, plus salt and black pepper, as desired. Set aside.
- Whisk together two tablespoons of olive oil with the fresh lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and thyme in a large bowl. Add the Kalamata olives, tomatoes, and Feta cheese and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the red onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the seasoned pork chops to the skillet. Cooking until the chops are golden brown on each side, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
Note: The safe cooking temperature for pork is 145°F. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chops should read approximately 135°F at this point.
- Pour the seasoned tomato and Feta mixture into the skillet and nestle it in amongst the chops. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes, or until the tomatoes and olives are warmed through and the Feta starts to melt.
- Remove the skillet from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Remove cover and serve immediately garnished with fresh parsley, if desired, and your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops is a great one skillet recipe that offers plenty of variations to suit your taste. You can switch up the ingredients, or adjust the cooking time for a thicker sauce. The variations are endless - you can add mushrooms for an earthy flavor, spinach for an extra nutrient boost, tomatoes for a unique sweetness, and of course, the cheese could be substituted with feta or even provolone. With just a few variations, you'll have something scrumptious every single time!
When it comes to storage and leftovers, Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops are one of the easier recipes to work with. This one skillet dish tastes great leftover and, if stored properly in the fridge, can last for up to three days so you can enjoy it more than once. That being said, make sure your storage container is airtight so that none of the flavors escape!
Making Smothered Mediterranean Pork Chops is easier than it sounds and can be a flavorful weeknight meal when made correctly. My top tip for success with this one skillet recipe? Make sure to select the right cut of pork chop - get ones that are around 1 inch thick, so they stay juicy and delicious while they simmer. Then take your time building the flavor base by sautéing the onion and garlic before adding the seasonings; you want these to gently caramelize so their sweetness comes out in the final dish. Once all those components come together, let it cook and enjoy a simple yet surprisingly delicious meal!
The actual cook time for the pork chops will vary based on several factors, including the thickness of the chops and the internal starting temperature. (The chops pictured here are between 5 to 6-oz. each). For best results, allow the chops to come to room temperature prior to cooking and use an instant read thermometer to determine when they are ready.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: