Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo is a healthy recipe that is perfect for a family gathering or picnic. This delicious side dish is a great alternative to traditional coleslaw and is sure to impress your guests with its fantastic flavor and texture.
Instead of using mayonnaise, this recipe incorporates a tangy dressing made from vinegar, mustard, and honey. It's super easy to prepare and takes under 10 minutes to make, making it the perfect addition to any meal. Even better, this coleslaw can be stored in the fridge for a few days, so you can make it ahead of time and enjoy it all week long. So why not give this recipe a try and see why Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo is the perfect addition to any meal!
This alternative version of the classic summer side dish is just as tasty
This alternative version of the classic summer side dish is just as tasty, with a refreshing tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with grilled meats or as a light lunch option. Plus, without the added calories and fat from mayo, you can feel good about indulging in seconds. Whip up a batch and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days, or mix it up for a fun mocktail twist on the traditional recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes (+ time to chill)
Cook time: 2 minutes
- This alternative version of the classic summer side dish is just as tasty
- Ingredients needed to make Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
- How to make Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
- Variations on the Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo recipe
- Storage for the Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
- Top tips on making. the Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
- Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
Ingredients needed to make Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small (or ½ medium) red onion, thinly sliced
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 4 large kale leaves, stalk removed and cut into thin ribbons
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ c. apple cider vinegar
- ½ c. white sugar ( optional )
- ½ c. vegetable or olive oil
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 2 t. celery seeds
How to make Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
- Add cabbage, red onion, white onion, carrots, and kale to a large bowl and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Add the vinegar and sugar to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar thoroughly dissolves, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the oil, Dijon mustard, and celery seeds. While still warm, pour over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine thoroughly.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo recipe
A healthy recipe that's perfect for a picnic or family gathering is the Carolina Coleslaw without Mayo. In fact, you can even switch things up by trying some variations to the classic recipe. One approach is to use apple cider vinegar instead of mayo, while adding in some honey for sweetness. Another twist is to go for a tangy version by using some mustard and lemon juice, which pairs well with grilled meats. And if you want to make it a little zesty, add in some chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes. Regardless of the variation you choose, be sure to store your coleslaw in an airtight container and chill it beforehand so that it stays fresh and retains its crunch. Cheers to a refreshing mocktail and delicious side dish!
Storage for the Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
Looking for a healthy recipe to bring to your next family gathering or picnic? Look no further than Carolina Coleslaw! With a sweet and tangy flavor, it's sure to be a crowd-pleaser. But what happens if you don't want to use mayo in your coleslaw? Good news - you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days without the mayo, making it a convenient option for meal prep or a make-ahead side dish. So go ahead and mix up a batch of this delicious coleslaw - it's the perfect addition to any summertime spread!
Top tips on making. the Carolina Coleslaw without the Mayo
This delicious dish is perfect for those who are looking for a healthier alternative without sacrificing taste. To make this Carolina staple, start by combining shredded cabbage, carrots, and red onion in a large bowl. Then, add in a mixture of apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, and olive oil. Toss the ingredients together until the slaw is evenly coated, and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld. This easy-to-make recipe is sure to impress and will keep your guests coming back for more!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: