There's something incredibly comforting about a steaming bowl of Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup. With the magical convenience of an Instant Pot®, you can have that warm, hearty goodness in a fraction of the time it takes on the stove. It's like a hug in a bowl, packed with tender chicken, perfectly cooked noodles, and a soul-soothing broth. Whether you're under the weather or just craving a taste of nostalgia, this dish has you covered. So, why wait for hours when you can have this classic comfort food on your table in no time? Get ready for a cozy, satisfying meal that'll warm your heart and tickle your taste buds!
Plus, the beauty of making Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot® is the versatility it offers. You can customize your soup with extra veggies, herbs, or spices to suit your cravings or dietary preferences. Throw in some spinach for a healthy twist, a pinch of thyme for added aroma, or a dash of chili flakes for a subtle kick. The Instant Pot® takes these flavors and melds them together into a harmonious, flavorful symphony. Whether you're a culinary novice or a seasoned chef, the simplicity of this recipe is a winner. So, dust off that Instant Pot®, grab your ingredients, and get ready to savor a bowl of homemade comfort, made easy.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Active cook time: 20 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)*
Natural release: 5 minutes
Yields: 10-12 cups of soup
- Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
- How to make Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
- Variations on the Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup recipe
- Equipment used in making Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
- Storage for the Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
- Top tips to know when making Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup in Minutes
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
Bouquet Garni Ingredients:
6-8 fresh parsley stems
10-12 fresh thyme sprigs
3 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 whole bay leaves
Soup Ingredients:1 T. extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
½ large white onion, chopped
4 medium carrots, sliced
4 medium stalks celery, sliced
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
8 c. chicken broth**
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ 12-oz. bag homestyle egg noodles
Optional: 1 large lime cut into thin wedges
**Can use a combination of chicken broth and water, if desired. For best results, use at least 50% chicken broth.
How to make Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
- Prepare the ‘bouquet garni’ by assembling the parsley, thyme, and rosemary sprigs on a clean work surface and securing with kitchen twine, as shown. Securely tuck the bay leaves inside the twine to hold. Set aside.
- Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot® and adjust to the highest setting. Add the olive oil to the pot, along with the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Turn the unit off.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot, along with the chicken thighs and breasts. Push the chicken pieces down into the liquid with a wooden spoon or spatula until fully submerged.
- Add the ‘bouquet garni’ on top and gently push into the liquid, as well. Add the lid and lock into place. Set the pressure release valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” button on the high setting. Adjust cook time to 10 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a quick release of any remaining steam. Turn the unit off.
- Carefully remove the lid and transfer the chicken pieces to a large, rimmed plate. Shred the meat using two forks and set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the highest setting and bring the liquid inside to a boil. Add the egg noodles and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Tip: Do not overcook the noodles or they will become mushy. They will continue to soften some in the hot liquid.
- Turn the unit off and carefully remove the pot from the unit. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and stir to combine. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- To serve, transfer the soup to individual soup bowls and offer fresh lime wedges on the side for squeezing, if desired. Enjoy!
Variations on the Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup recipe
Here are 10 delightful variations to add a twist to your Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup recipe:
- Spicy Kick: Add red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce for a spicy chicken noodle soup that'll warm you up even more.
- Lemon Zest: Squeeze fresh lemon juice and zest into the soup for a zesty, tangy flavor that brightens up the broth.
- Thai Coconut Fusion: Infuse a hint of Thai flavors by stirring in some coconut milk, curry paste, and fresh cilantro for a unique twist.
- Creamy Dream: Make it creamy with a touch of heavy cream or coconut cream for a rich and velvety chicken noodle chowder.
- Mushroom Magic: Add sautéed mushrooms for an earthy depth and extra heartiness to your soup.
- Rustic Herbs: Mix in fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or dill for an aromatic, garden-fresh flavor.
- Vegetarian Delight: Swap chicken for tofu or chickpeas, and use vegetable broth for a hearty vegetarian version.
- Italian Influence: Incorporate Italian herbs like basil, oregano, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese for a Mediterranean twist.
- Asian Fusion: Throw in some bok choy, ginger, and soy sauce for an Asian-inspired chicken noodle soup adventure.
- Cajun Spice: Add Cajun seasoning and a bit of Andouille sausage for a Creole-style soup with a spicy, smoky kick.
Feel free to mix and match these variations or create your own unique flavor profile. With the Instant Pot®, the possibilities are endless, and each variation promises a delicious, comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup with a delightful twist!
Equipment used in making Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
Storage for the Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
You can store your Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup in the fridge for approximately 3 to 4 days while maintaining its quality and safety. To maximize freshness:
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature before refrigerating it.
- Store it in an airtight container to prevent odors from other foods from affecting its flavor.
- Label the container with the date of preparation so you can keep track of its freshness.
- When reheating, make sure to bring it to a rolling boil to ensure it's safe to eat.
Top tips to know when making Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup:
- Quick Release for Tender Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts and opt for a quick release of pressure after cooking to ensure tender chicken pieces.
- Sauté for Flavor: Start by sautéing onions, garlic, and other aromatic veggies in the Instant Pot® before adding other ingredients. This builds a flavorful base for your soup.
- Flavorful Broth: Use quality chicken broth or stock for a rich, flavorful soup. You can also make your own broth for an even fresher taste.
- Herb Bouquet: Tie fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or bay leaves in a bundle or use a mesh bag for easy removal after cooking.
- Noodle Timing: Add pasta or noodles towards the end of the cooking process to avoid overcooking. Use the "Sauté" function if necessary to cook them just right.
- Veggie Variety: Experiment with different veggies like carrots, celery, peas, or corn to add color and nutrition to your soup.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste and adjust the seasoning at the end of cooking. Sometimes a little extra salt, pepper, or herbs can make a big difference.
- Lid Lock: Ensure the Instant Pot® lid is locked in the correct position before pressure cooking to avoid steam leaks and ensure safety.
- Natural Release for Broth: When releasing pressure, opt for a natural release for a few minutes to let the flavors meld together before quick releasing the remaining pressure.
- Garnish Galore: Don't forget the finishing touches! Fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice, or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan can elevate the soup's taste and presentation.
With these tips in your culinary toolkit, you're well on your way to whipping up a delicious and comforting Instant Pot® Chicken Noodle Soup that will warm your soul on any day. Enjoy!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: