If you like Cuban cuisine and need a recipe for an easy-to-make dinner, look no further than Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice. This recipe requires nothing more than adding all of the ingredients to your Instant Pot® and pressing a few buttons - with delicious results!
The recipe yields enough to feed four people in generous portions, making it great for feeding a whole family. Serve this flavorful dish with a light side salad or your favorite Cuban recipes sides like fried plantains or Arroz con Pollo. So if you're looking to make dinner fast while still keeping it healthy, you can't go wrong with Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice cooked in an Instant Pot®.
Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice is a delicious recipe that is perfect for any weeknight dinner
Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice is a delicious recipe that is perfect for any weeknight dinner. It is hearty, flavorful, and incredibly easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. The black beans make it protein-packed while the combination of spices in the dish gives it a unique and rich flavor. The tender Basmati rice absorbs the flavors perfectly, resulting in a satisfying meal without having to spend too much time in the kitchen. Whether you’re looking for something to serve for dinner or take to potlucks, this Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice recipe from the Instant Pot® will not disappoint!
Prep time: 15 minutesCook time: 32 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 20 minutes natural release
- Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice is a delicious recipe that is perfect for any weeknight dinner
- Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice
- Instructions for making Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice
- Variations on the Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice Recipe
- Top tip
- Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice
1 c. dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
1 medium red pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
½ medium white onion, cut into large pieces
½ T. dried oregano
½ T. dried cumin
1 t. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 whole bay leaves
1½ c. chicken or vegetable broth
1 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. red pepper, diced
3 T. avocado, diced
2 T. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 whole lime, cut into wedges (optional)
3 c. cooked white or yellow rice
optional: use BASMATI rice
Instructions for making Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice
- Add the beans, red pepper, onion, oregano, dried cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves to Instant Pot®.
- Pour broth on top and add the lid. Set the pressure valve to “sealing” and select the “Manual” cooking option on the “High” setting. Set cook time to 32 minutes.
- When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Turn the unit off and carefully remove lid. Transfer red pepper, onion, and ½ cup broth to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed vegetable mixture back into the Instant Pot® and add red wine vinegar. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine. Serve immediately over a bed of cooked rice, topped with chopped red pepper, avocado, and cilantro. Offer lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Variations on the Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice Recipe
Are you sick of the same old dinner recipes? Consider adding variation to your classic Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice with some unique and exciting ingredients. Instead of throwing in the traditional seasonings, replace them with a few handfuls of different spices like cumin and chili powder for a spicy variation that will give your dish an extra kick. Other creative substitutions can include miso paste or even a few tablespoons of tomato paste for added flavor. If you're feeling extra adventurous, try substituting black beans for other types of beans such as kidney beans or navy beans to switch up the texture, or add in some diced bell peppers for additional crunch. With these simple changes you can transform this ordinary recipe into a delicious variation on what was once reserved for lunch or dinner.
Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice made in an Instant Pot® is a delicious and savory recipe perfect for any night. The dish can be stored in the fridge for up to three days - it makes a great storage option for those looking to make a quick dinner after work or school! However, if you want the most flavor, it's best to enjoy this meal soon after it's been cooked, while it still has that wonderful aroma and taste. Reheating the leftovers will give you second-day satisfaction and turn your storage into two dinners!
Making a delicious dinner is easier than ever with the top tips for making Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice. When following this recipe, opt to soak the beans overnight. Doing so will help ensure they become tender and flavorful, creating superior results in the end. Additionally, make sure to use the proper amount of liquid, since pressure cooking relies on evaporation, too little liquid won't yield the same flavors as if you'd used enough. Lastly, top off your meal with fresh avocado slices or cilantro just before serving - this adds a delightful freshness that will round out your meal in style!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: