Start your morning with a recipe for a delicious southwestern breakfast skillet. This recipe is easy to make and uses simple ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen. It starts with simmering sausage, onion, and peppers in a skillet before adding eggs to the mix.
To add some real flavor, stir in cilantro and chili powder then top it all off with diced avocado. Serve it up with warm flour tortillas or the bread of your choice for a magical southwestern breakfast that will give you the energy to last all day long.
This healthy Southwestern Breakfast Skillet recipe is a great way to start the day
This healthy Southwestern Breakfast Skillet recipe is a great way to start the day. Packed with protein, plenty of healthy vegetables, and seasoning that packs a flavor punch, this dish is sure to give you the energy to keep going all morning long. With everyone at home cooking more than ever these days, healthy breakfast options like this dish will help to ensure that you stay healthy and energized no matter what your day holds. There's never been an easier or tastier way to make sure you have the fuel your body needs!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- This healthy Southwestern Breakfast Skillet recipe is a great way to start the day
- Ingredients needed to make the southwestern breakfast skillet.
- Instructions for making the southwestern breakfast skillet.
- Variations for the southwestern breakfast skillet.
- Top tip
- Southwestern Breakfast Skillet
Ingredients needed to make the southwestern breakfast skillet.
- 2 T. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 8-oz. bag of radishes, rinsed, trimmed, and quartered
- ¼ c. red onion, finely diced
- 2 t. Italian seasoning
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. ground chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ c. mini sweet peppers, diced (tri-color)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked crispy
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 large lime, cut into 8 wedges
Instructions for making the southwestern breakfast skillet.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the radishes, red onion, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the radishes start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the chopped peppers to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pepper softens, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Create four “wells” in the skillet by pushing the vegetables to the side with a spatula. Add an egg into each opening and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until the eggs are cooked through, approximately 3-5 minutes depending on the desired level of doneness.
- Remove from heat and crumble the crispy bacon on top of the skillet. Top with the fresh cilantro and serve immediately with the diced avocado and fresh lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Variations for the southwestern breakfast skillet.
Making variations on a classic breakfast skillet recipe can be an exciting way to spice up the morning! When it comes to the Southwestern Breakfast Skillet, there are many variations you can explore. For starters, try swapping out ingredients like potatoes for a heartier veggie, like diced sweet potatoes or zucchini. Additionally, you can incorporate different spices into the mix - from chili powder to cumin - for an extra zing of flavor. If you want to really kick up the protein levels, go for plant-based sausage or crumbled soyrizo instead of traditional sausage. The variations are endless when it comes to the Southwestern Breakfast Skillet recipe and they will keep breakfast time enjoyable and delicious!
When it comes to storing the Southwestern Breakfast Skillet recipe, you may be wondering just how long it can last. The answer is simple - this delicious and unique breakfast dish can be stored in an airtight container or freezer bag for three to four days. So, if you're looking to prep ahead of time for a busy workweek or filling breakfast for your family on the weekends, then this versatile skillet recipe is perfect for you. Not only does it store well, but it's also full of flavor due to ingredients such as bell peppers, potatoes, and black beans. So whip up a batch of this southwestern-style delight and enjoy warm from the oven!
If you are looking for some top tips to help you when making the Southwestern Breakfast Skillet recipe, then look no further. The most important piece of advice when preparing this recipe is to make sure all of the ingredients are ready before you begin. Make sure your skillet is preheated and that all your vegetables and proteins are diced so they will cook evenly. You should also consider adding extra spices like cumin and chili powder or herbs such as cilantro to bring out more flavor in the dish. Finally, top it off with fresh avocado slices or cheese for an extra burst of flavor. Following these top tips will provide a delightful Southwest breakfast that your family and friends are sure to love!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: