Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is a recipe that will be the star of your dinner table. This healthy recipe includes a combination of chicken, wild rice, carrots, and onion - all cooked in one pot!
Save time on meal prep and make this recipe to get a flavorful, comforting soup in 40 minutes or less. Perfect for busy weeknights or as an easy meal for guests, you'll love the delectable flavors and ease of this recipe.
How healthy is The Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe?
The Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe is a great option if you're looking for a healthy meal. Using ingredients like boneless skinless chicken breasts and wild-harvest long-grain brown rice, this recipe is rich in protein and fiber. It also contains plenty of vegetables like carrots and celery which are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. You can customize it to your preference by adding spices or additional vegetables such as spinach or kale. All in all, this recipe offers a nutritious meal without sacrificing any taste.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Active cook time: 30 minutes* (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 10 minutes natural release
- How healthy is The Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe?
- Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Instructions for making Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Variations on the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Equipment needed to make Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Storage for the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Top tips on the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe
- Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large stalks of celery, diced small
- 1 large carrot, diced small
- 1 small white onion, diced small
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 c. wild rice blend, rinsed
- 1 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 6 c. chicken broth
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
Instructions for making Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to medium and once hot, add celery, carrots, and onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the veggies start to soften approximately 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and dried thyme. Stir to combine and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to develop some color, approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn the unit off.
- Add wild rice, chicken breast, bay leaves, and broth to Instant Pot®. Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and carefully remove lid.
- Transfer the chicken breast to a platter and shred it with two forks. Return chicken to Instant Pot® and add fresh parsley. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
When it comes to making variations on the Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe, there are plenty of options to make this simple dish both delicious and healthy. Consider swapping out the regular wild rice for brown rice for a more nutrient-packed option, adding some fresh chopped vegetables like tomatoes, kale or carrots for an extra pop of color and flavor, or incorporating different seasonings like smoked paprika or garlic powder to customize the taste. You can even switch up the type of chicken used, such as swapping out boneless skinless breasts with leaner thigh meat. With a few variations, you'll have an entirely new soup that everyone in the family will enjoy!
Equipment needed to make Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Storage for the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
When it comes to storage, the Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe is one of the healthiest and most convenient dishes around. This delicious meal can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, making it a great make-ahead dinner option that you can have on hand as a time-saver. For storage safety, make sure to store the soup in an airtight container; this will help keep it fresh and nutritious for when you're ready to enjoy it!
Top tips on the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup recipe
Making the Instant Pot® Chicken & Wild Rice Soup Recipe can be a surprisingly health-conscious and time-saving endeavor. Following a few top tips can make the process even easier. First, pay attention to the order of ingredients in the recipe and include them as listed. When it comes to seasoning, opt for all-natural options such as fresh herbs or smartly combined spices. Additionally, buy all vegetables organic and lean proteins like chicken breasts. Frozen vegetables will work, but keep in mind that they do not always provide the same flavor complexity, or texture as their fresh counterparts. Finally, remember to check in on your meals often by stirring gently and monitoring cooking times carefully. Doing so will ensure you get an amazing bowlful every single time!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: