Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds is like a flavor explosion in your mouth! Imagine crispy bacon bits mingling with fresh, crunchy broccoli florets, all tossed in a zesty vinaigrette that's a little tangy and a little sweet.
And let's not forget those toasted pumpkin seeds for that extra pop of crunch and nuttiness. It's the perfect side dish for a summer BBQ, a potluck picnic, or even just a lazy Sunday afternoon. No mayo means it's a bit lighter, and the combination of flavors is so refreshing. You won't be able to resist going back for seconds!
The contrasting textures and vibrant flavors make it a star on any dining table
This Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds is a real crowd-pleaser. The contrasting textures and vibrant flavors make it a star on any dining table, and it's a fantastic way to get your greens in while enjoying every bite. Whether you're a veggie enthusiast or just someone looking for a healthier twist on a classic salad, this dish has got you covered. So, next time you're planning a gathering or simply craving a delicious and nutritious side, whip up a batch of this salad, and watch it disappear as everyone savors the irresistible combination of broccoli, bacon, and those delightful toasted pumpkin seeds. Your taste buds will thank you!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes to overnight
- The contrasting textures and vibrant flavors make it a star on any dining table
- Ingredients needed to make Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- How to make the Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe
- Variations on the Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe
- Equipment used in making Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Top tips to know when making Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin
- Mayo Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients needed to make Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
½ small red onion, outer skin removed and cut into thin slices
2 large heads fresh broccoli, tough stems removed, rinsed, and broken into florets
6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
⅓ c. toasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted
How to make the Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe
To make the dressing, combine the Greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Add the broccoli florets to a large, microwave-safe dish and add 2-3 T. water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, or until florets are crisp tender. (Check after 3 minutes and adjust cooking times accordingly).
Remove from microwave and drain excess liquid. Set aside, uncovered, and allow steamed florets to cool.
In a large glass or other non-reactive bowl, combine the red onion, broccoli, crumbled bacon, and fresh parsley. Toss gently to combine. Top with ½ Greek yogurt dressing and toss again until ingredients are thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight before serving. Cover and reserve remaining dressing, as well.
Toss chilled salad with remaining dressing right before serving, or serve on the side for those who prefer a little extra dressing. Sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds right before serving to keep them crunchy.
*1 tablespoon of honey contains up to 17 grams of carbs, or approximately 4¼ grams per serving. If this is too high for your needs, you can use a very small amount of stevia powder or liquid as a substitute.
Variations on the Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe
here are 10 casual and creative variations you can try with the Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe:
- Cranberry Crunch: Add dried cranberries and chopped walnuts for a sweet and nutty twist on this salad.
- Creamy Avocado: Mash some ripe avocado into the dressing for a creamy, healthy alternative to mayo.
- Greek Inspired: Incorporate crumbled feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and a drizzle of olive oil with a sprinkle of dried oregano for a Mediterranean flair.
- Spicy Sriracha: Mix a bit of Sriracha sauce into the vinaigrette for a spicy kick that balances the bacon's smokiness.
- Tropical Touch: Toss in some diced pineapple and shredded coconut to give your salad a tropical vibe.
- Blue Cheese Bliss: Add crumbled blue cheese and a few drops of balsamic vinegar for a tangy and savory variation.
- Curry Delight: Sprinkle curry powder into the dressing and mix in some raisins or diced apples for an exotic twist.
- Vegan Option: Replace bacon with smoky tempeh or coconut bacon, and use a vegan-friendly dressing with tahini or cashew cream.
- Tex-Mex Fiesta: Mix in some corn kernels, diced red bell peppers, and a touch of taco seasoning for a Southwestern flair.
- Superfood Boost: Add nutrient-rich ingredients like quinoa or farro for extra heartiness and health benefits.
Feel free to get creative and combine some of these variations for a truly unique and customized salad experience!
Equipment used in making Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
You can store the Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. It's important to keep it in an airtight container to prevent moisture from getting in, which can make the salad soggy. Also, if you've already dressed the salad with the vinaigrette, it's a good idea to store any leftovers separately from the dressing, adding the dressing just before serving to maintain the salad's freshness and texture. Always check for any signs of spoilage, like an off smell or changes in color or texture, before consuming leftovers.
Top tips to know when making Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making your delicious Mayo-Free Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds:
- Fresh is Best: Use fresh broccoli for the crispiest texture and the best flavor. It's worth the extra effort.
- Blanch the Broccoli: To make the broccoli more tender and vibrant, blanch it in boiling water for about a minute, then immediately transfer it to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Bacon Bliss: Crisp up the bacon to perfection. Nobody likes soggy bacon in their salad. Cook it until it's nice and crispy.
- Pumpkin Seed Perfection: Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet or in the oven for added crunch and flavor. Keep an eye on them, as they can go from golden to burnt quickly.
- Customize Your Dressing: Experiment with different vinaigrette ingredients to find your favorite flavor balance. Adjust the acidity, sweetness, and spiciness to your liking.
- Chill for Flavor: Let your salad chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld and the salad to become even more delicious.
- Mix Just Before Serving: Don't toss the salad with the dressing until right before you're ready to eat. This keeps it from getting soggy.
- Get Creative: Don't hesitate to add extra ingredients like cheese, nuts, or fruits to make the salad your own masterpiece.
- Storage Savvy: Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge. It can stay fresh for a day or two, but it's best when eaten fresh.
- Double Up: This salad is so good that you might want to make a double batch, especially if you're serving a crowd. It tends to disappear quickly!
Enjoy your delicious creation, and don't be afraid to make it your own with personal twists and tweaks!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: