These Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar are like a warm hug for your taste buds. Picture this: a perfect balance of cozy spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves dancing in every bite, and then there's that delicate dusting of powdered sugar on top that adds just the right touch of sweetness.
The result? A delightful, melt-in-your-mouth experience that's perfect for snacking with a cup of tea or sharing with friends during a cozy evening in. These cookies are not just a treat; they're a little taste of happiness. So, if you're looking for a simple yet incredibly satisfying baking adventure, these Spice Cookies with powdered sugar are the way to go.
These Spice Cookies are a breeze to make
And the best part? These Spice Cookies are a breeze to make, making them perfect for both novice bakers and seasoned pros. Just whip up a quick batch of cookie dough, roll it into charming little rounds, and let the oven work its magic. The aroma that fills your kitchen as they bake is almost as wonderful as the cookies themselves. Whether you enjoy them warm and fresh out of the oven or save some for later, these cookies have a knack for disappearing faster than you can imagine. So, don't hesitate to whip up a batch and share the joy of Spice Cookies with powdered sugar with your loved ones – it's a simple pleasure that's bound to put a smile on everyone's face!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Yields 2 dozen cookies
- These Spice Cookies are a breeze to make
- Ingredients needed to make Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- How to make Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- Variations on the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar recipe
- Equipment used in making the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- Storage for the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- Top tips to know when making the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- How to make Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
Ingredients needed to make Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
¾ c. unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
⅛ c. molasses
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground cloves
½ t. ground allspice
½ t. ground ginger
1 c. powdered sugar
How to make Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and molasses and mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Stir to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
- When ready to bake, place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form balls with a 1-inch scoop. Roll the dough in your hands to form a ball and set on baking sheet with an inch or two inches between each cookie.
- Place baking sheets in the pre-heated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through. Remove from oven and let cookies cool for several minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer cooled cookies to a Ziploc bag filled with powdered sugar. Seal tightly and gently turn until cookies are thoroughly coated. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Variations on the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar recipe
Here are 10 delightful variations to spice up your classic "Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar" recipe:
- Orange Zest Bliss: Add some fresh orange zest to the dough for a citrusy twist that pairs wonderfully with the spices.
- Chai-Spiced Elegance: Infuse the cookie dough with chai tea spices like cardamom, cloves, and ginger for an exotic flavor profile.
- Chocolate Chip Delight: Mix in some chocolate chips for a delightful blend of warm spices and sweet chocolate.
- Nutty Crunch: Incorporate chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts for extra texture and a nutty flavor boost.
- Maple Glaze Magic: Drizzle a homemade maple glaze over your cookies for a sweet and sticky touch.
- Lemon Drizzle Dream: Replace powdered sugar with a zesty lemon glaze for a tangy contrast to the spiciness.
- Molasses Marvel: Swap a portion of the sugar for molasses to deepen the flavor and add a rich, caramel-like note.
- Coconut Cozy: Mix in shredded coconut for a tropical twist that complements the spices beautifully.
- Raisin and Spice: Add plump raisins to the dough for a chewy, fruity burst in every bite.
- Almond Extract Euphoria: Enhance the cookie dough with a hint of almond extract for a subtle, nutty undertone that pairs wonderfully with the spices.
Feel free to experiment with these variations and find your personal favorite or even come up with your own unique twist on these beloved spice cookies!
Equipment used in making the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
Storage for the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
You can store your "Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar" in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. However, if you'd like to extend their shelf life or keep them fresh for a longer period, you can refrigerate them. When stored in the fridge, these cookies can stay good for about 2 to 3 weeks.
To store them in the fridge, place the cookies in an airtight container with layers separated by parchment paper to prevent sticking. It's a good idea to add a small piece of bread or a slice of apple to the container; this helps maintain moisture and keeps the cookies from becoming too dry.
Before serving, allow the refrigerated cookies to come to room temperature for a short while. This will help restore their texture and flavor, making them just as delightful as when they were first baked.
Top tips to know when making the Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when baking your delicious "Spice Cookies with Powdered Sugar":
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Ensure that your butter and eggs are at room temperature before you start. This helps in achieving a smoother cookie dough.
- Proper Spice Measurement: When measuring your spices, use level measurements to avoid overpowering the cookies with spice. A little goes a long way!
- Chill the Dough: After preparing the dough, refrigerate it for at least an hour. Chilled dough is easier to work with and results in cookies that hold their shape better.
- Parchment Paper or Silpat: Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (Silpat) to prevent cookies from sticking and make cleanup a breeze.
- Evenly Sized Cookies: Use a cookie scoop or your hands to ensure that the cookie dough portions are of uniform size. This ensures even baking.
- Avoid Overmixing: When combining wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can make the cookies tough.
- Mind the Oven Temperature: Preheat your oven and use an oven thermometer to verify the accuracy of the temperature. Baking at the right temperature is crucial for even cooking.
- Baking Time Matters: Keep a close eye on the cookies while they're in the oven. They should be golden around the edges but still slightly soft in the center when you take them out.
- Cooling Time: Allow your cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. This prevents them from breaking apart.
- Powdered Sugar Finish: For that perfect powdered sugar finish, wait until the cookies are completely cool before dusting with powdered sugar. It ensures a pristine appearance.
Remember, baking is as much about the process as it is about the end result. Don't be afraid to experiment a little and have fun with your spice cookies. Happy baking!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: