This healthy dinner recipe for Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters! Not only delicious, this dish is also healthy and easy to prepare. The recipe calls for healthy ingredients such as boneless chicken breast, orzo pasta, celery, carrots, and lemons.
This wholesome soup is a great alternative to take-out or pre-made meals. Suitable for any occasion, Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup will quickly become a family favorite!
The recipe for Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup makes dinner a breeze!
The dinner hour can often be a stressful and overwhelming time for a busy family. But dinner doesn't have to be difficult - the recipe for Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup makes dinner a breeze! This healthy dinner is simple to put together and helps make dinner time effortless. Just layer all of the ingredients including chicken, orzo, carrots, celery, lemon juice, and broth in the slow cooker, set it on low and dinner is ready in 6-8 hours! It's an easy dinner that tastes delicious and guarantees smiles around the dinner table.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 4-6 hours
- The recipe for Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup makes dinner a breeze!
- Ingredients needed to make Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- Instructions for making Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- Variations on the Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup recipe
- Storage for the Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- Top tip for the Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
Ingredients needed to make Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- 1 – 1-½ lbs. boneless chicken breasts, or tenders
- 1 c. chopped celery (2 ribs)
- 1 c. sliced carrots (2 medium or 12 baby)
- ½ c. diced onion
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 qt. low sodium chicken broth
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup orzo pasta
- 1-½ tsp. lemon juice (¼ fresh lemon squeezed)
- 2 T. Fresh parsley, chopped
Fresh parsley and Grated Parmesan Cheese, to taste
Hot Crusty French Bread or Rolls
Instructions for making Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- Place chicken, celery, carrots, onion, rosemary, thyme, garlic and bay leaves in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Add orzo and lemon juice to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente.
- Stir in fresh parsley. Adjust seasonings if desired, remembering that the parmesan will add saltiness to the final product.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with additional parsley and parmesan cheese if desired. Serve with hot crusty bread on the side.
Variations on the Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup recipe
The great thing about the Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup recipe is that you can make a variety of variations for a delicious and healthy dinner. In the basic recipe, chicken, vegetables, and lemony broth are cooked together in a slow cooker. Some variation options for this warm and comforting soup include adding potatoes and other root vegetables or topping it with feta cheese, parsley, dill, or extra lemon juice for a Mediterranean flair. If you’re looking for something on the heartier side, substituting skinless, boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts will add more flavor and texture to the soup. For a vegan variation, you can eliminate the chicken altogether! With all these options plus others that you can come up with yourself, your variation of Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup will definitely be unique.
Storage for the Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup is a healthy, delicious recipe that can provide you and your family with a nutritious dinner night after night. When it comes to storage, this soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to four days without it going bad. Additionally, any leftovers should be stored away from raw meats in a tightly sealed container if they are not consumed immediately after they have been cooked. Keep in mind that you should always discard any food item once it has been stored six days or more; this makes sure the Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup is safe and still tastes great meal after meal.
Top tip for the Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
When it comes to creating a healthy and heartwarming dinner, the Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe is top-notch! Be sure to use low-sodium chicken stock for a healthier option. You don’t want your soup to end up too salty when all of the flavors meld together in the slow cooker. Lastly, top off each bowl with freshly chopped herbs of your choice - adding zing and brightening flavors. With these top tips in mind, you’ll have a delicious bowl of healthy Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup ready for dinner!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: