Picture this: A colorful medley of tender cheese-filled tortellini, vibrant veggies, and zesty Italian flavors all coming together in one dish – that's Tortellini Antipasto Salad for you! It's like a party on your plate, a delightful blend of textures and tastes that's perfect for picnics, potlucks, or just a lazy summer evening.
The tortellini add a creamy, indulgent touch while the tangy vinaigrette, olives, and artichoke hearts bring the Mediterranean charm. Top it off with some fresh basil and a sprinkle of Parmesan, and you've got a salad that's as satisfying as it is refreshing. Get ready to fall in love with a salad that's far from ordinary, packed with flavors that dance on your taste buds.
This salad is an ode to the simple joys of good food and great company
It's incredibly versatile. Customize your Tortellini Antipasto Salad with your favorite antipasto ingredients – sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, salami, or even marinated mozzarella balls. This salad welcomes your creativity with open arms. Whether it's the star of your meal or a delightful sidekick, it's bound to steal the spotlight. So, grab that big salad bowl, mix up those ingredients, and watch your taste buds embark on a journey to Italy and back. Whether you're enjoying it at a BBQ or as a quick weekday dinner, this salad is an ode to the simple joys of good food and great company
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- This salad is an ode to the simple joys of good food and great company
- Ingredients needed to make Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- How to make Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- Variations on the Tortellini Antipasto Salad recipe
- Storage for the Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- Top tips to know when making Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- Delightful Twist: Savor the Flavors of Tortellini Antipasto Salad
Ingredients needed to make Tortellini Antipasto Salad
Optional: Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 t. maple syrup
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 2 t. shallot, finely minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- *Can use bottled dressing instead, see note above.
- 20 oz. refrigerated tortellini
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. fresh arugula
- 2 T. fresh basil, sliced4 oz. Pepper Jack or other white cheese, cut into chunks
- 4 oz. pepperoni, cut into small chunks
- 1 c. black olives, cut in half
- 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ c. balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 3 T. Parmesan cheese, shaved
How to make Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- Prepare the balsamic vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a salad shaker or glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake vigorously until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. (Add olive oil to the cooking water as instructed to prevent sticking). Rinse and drain well, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the fresh arugula, basil, Pepper Jack cheese, pepperoni, olives, and tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and drizzle half the balsamic vinaigrette dressing on top. Gently fold the ingredients together with a spoon until thoroughly combined.
To serve, transfer the salad to a large serving bowl and top with shaved Parmesan cheese and a light drizzle of the remaining balsamic vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Variations on the Tortellini Antipasto Salad recipe
Here are 10 tasty variations to add a twist to your Tortellini Antipasto Salad:
- Mediterranean Medley: Incorporate kalamata olives, feta cheese, and cucumbers for a Greek-inspired twist.
- Caprese Combo: Swap tortellini for cheese-filled tortellini and add fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and basil for a Caprese-style salad.
- Pesto Passion: Toss the salad in a homemade basil pesto dressing for a burst of herbaceous goodness.
- Mushroom Magic: Sauté sliced mushrooms and mix them into your salad for an earthy depth of flavor.
- Roasted Red Romance: Add roasted red peppers for a smoky, sweet note and extra color.
- Protein Power: Introduce grilled chicken, shrimp, or salami for a protein-packed version.
- Veggie Vibrance: Experiment with a variety of colorful veggies like bell peppers, asparagus, or cherry tomatoes.
- Tangy Toppers: Sprinkle with pine nuts, sunflower seeds, or chopped nuts for some delightful crunch.
- Spice It Up: Add crushed red pepper flakes or a drizzle of balsamic glaze for a spicy or sweet kick.
- Fresh Herbs Galore: Experiment with fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, or tarragon for an aromatic twist.
Feel free to mix and match these variations or let your creativity run wild to create your own signature Tortellini Antipasto Salad. It's a canvas of flavors waiting for your culinary inspiration!
Storage for the Tortellini Antipasto Salad
You can store your Tortellini Antipasto Salad in the fridge for approximately 3 to 4 days while maintaining its quality and safety. Here are some tips to ensure freshness:
- Allow the salad to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Store it in an airtight container to prevent moisture loss and to keep it from absorbing odors from other foods.
- Label the container with the date of preparation so you can track its freshness.
- When serving leftovers, consider adding a bit of extra dressing or olive oil to refresh the flavors.
Beyond this time frame, the salad may start to lose its texture and become less appealing.
Top tips to know when making Tortellini Antipasto Salad
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making a delicious Tortellini Antipasto Salad:
- Choose Quality Tortellini: Opt for high-quality tortellini with a flavorful filling, as it's a key component of the salad.
- Cook Tortellini Al Dente: Boil tortellini until it's al dente, as it will continue to absorb flavors in the salad without becoming too soft.
- Rinse and Cool: After cooking the tortellini, rinse it with cold water to stop the cooking process and cool it down quickly.
- Toss in Dressing Early: Dress the salad while the tortellini is still slightly warm. This allows it to absorb the flavors better.
- Use a Flavorful Vinaigrette: Prepare a tangy vinaigrette with olive oil, vinegar, herbs, and seasonings for a well-balanced dressing.
- Marinate Ingredients: Let the salad marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to enhance the flavors.
- Fresh vs. Jarred Ingredients: Whenever possible, use fresh ingredients like cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts, but jarred ones work well too.
- Cheese Choices: Experiment with various cheeses like mozzarella, feta, or Parmesan to add a creamy or tangy touch.
- Customize the Veggies: Mix and match your favorite veggies to suit your taste, ensuring a colorful and diverse salad.
- Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Finish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or oregano for a burst of aromatic freshness.
With these top tips, you'll be well-prepared to whip up a scrumptious Tortellini Antipasto Salad that's bursting with flavor and perfect for any occasion. Enjoy your culinary adventure!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: