Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is the breakfast you didn't know you were missing! Imagine waking up to a hearty, creamy bowl of steel-cut oats infused with the sweet aroma of cinnamon, studded with tender chunks of apples, and dotted with plump raisins. It's the kind of breakfast that makes you appreciate the slow cooker's magic – a delicious, hassle-free morning meal. In the realm of breakfast choices, this oatmeal recipe stands out as a warm, comforting delight.
Not only is it incredibly easy to prepare, but it also offers the convenience of setting it up the night before, leaving you with a nutritious breakfast to enjoy as you start your day. Whether you're rushing out the door or taking your time, the rich flavors and textures of this cinnamon apple oatmeal are sure to brighten your morning. Plus, the simplicity of a one-pot wonder means minimal cleanup – a definite win in my book. Your family will keep coming back for more, so be prepared to add this delightful slow cooker oatmeal to your breakfast rotation. And if you're on the lookout for quick and easy breakfast options, don't miss out on trying the overnight breakfast casserole for another delicious morning treat!
They're not just a treat for your taste buds; they're a nutritional powerhouse,
Now, let's delve a bit deeper into the wonders of Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. It's like a warm, cozy hug for your taste buds, a breakfast that embraces you with its inviting sweetness and heartiness. The combination of cinnamon, chopped apples, and plump raisins creates a symphony of flavors and textures that's hard to resist. Plus, it's not just about the delicious taste; it's about the convenience. Setting it up the night before means you can simply savor the aroma and dig in as soon as you wake up. Whether it's a busy weekday morning or a leisurely weekend brunch, this oatmeal fits the bill perfectly. The slow cooker does all the work while you enjoy your morning routine. And let's not forget the minimal cleanup – just another reason why this recipe is a breakfast winner. So, if you're on the hunt for a breakfast that's both wholesome and indulgent, Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is your go-to choice. Your family will adore it, and you'll appreciate the simplicity of this delightful breakfast dish as it becomes a cherished part of your morning routine. And for even more tasty breakfast options, don't miss out on the overnight breakfast casserole – another fantastic addition to your breakfast repertoire!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
- They're not just a treat for your taste buds; they're a nutritional powerhouse,
- Ingredients needed to make Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- How to make Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- Variations on the Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats recipe
- Equipment used in making Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- Storage for the Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- Top tips to know when making Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- The Best Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats"
Ingredients needed to make Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
1 c. steel cut oats
3 c. water
1 c. fresh apple cider
2 medium apples, cored and diced
1½ T. honey, preferably local
1 t. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground nutmeg
½ t. ground allspice
½ t. salt, to taste
1 medium apple, cored and diced
½ c. pecans, chopped
Real maple syrup
Do not substitute any other type of oats for this recipe. Cooking times are based on using steel cut oats only.
It very important to either line or heavily grease the sides of your slow cooker crock before preparing this recipe. If you skip this step, the oats will stick to the sides and will be very difficult to remove.
How to make Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- Add oats, water, cider, apples, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt to greased or lined slow cooker crock and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Actual cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker, so check for doneness after 5 hours and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- To serve, allow to cool slightly before spooning into bowls and topping with fresh chopped apples, pecans, and some real maple syrup, if desired.
Variations on the Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats recipe
Here are 10 delightful variations to spice up your Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats recipe:
- Peanut Butter Powerhouse: Stir in a spoonful of creamy peanut butter for a protein-packed twist. Top with sliced bananas and a drizzle of honey for extra yum.
- Tropical Paradise: Swap out the apples for diced pineapple and add shredded coconut for a tropical escape in every bite.
- Berry Blast: Mix in your favorite berries (strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries) for a burst of fruity freshness.
- Chai Spice Delight: Replace the cinnamon with chai spice for a warming and aromatic flavor profile. A dollop of whipped cream on top won't hurt!
- Nutty Crunch: Add a handful of chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans for a satisfying crunch and an extra dose of healthy fats.
- Maple Pecan Magic: Drizzle pure maple syrup over your oats and sprinkle with chopped pecans for a taste of cozy indulgence.
- Chocolate Lover's Dream: Stir in some cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips for a breakfast that feels like dessert.
- Gingerbread Joy: Infuse your oats with the warm flavors of gingerbread by adding ground ginger, nutmeg, and a touch of molasses.
- Banana Bread Bliss: Mash a ripe banana into your oats, then sprinkle with cinnamon and a handful of raisins for a comforting banana bread-inspired twist.
- Savory Surprise: If you're feeling adventurous, try a savory version by adding a pinch of salt, a dash of black pepper, and some shredded cheddar cheese. Top with a fried or poached egg for a unique breakfast experience.
Feel free to mix and match these variations to create your own signature Slow Cooker Oatmeal masterpiece. The possibilities are endless!
Equipment used in making Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
Storage for the Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
You can typically store Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. To ensure they stay fresh and safe to eat, follow these storage tips:
- Cool Completely: Allow the cooked oats to cool to room temperature before refrigerating them. Placing hot food directly in the fridge can raise the internal temperature and potentially compromise other items.
- Use an Airtight Container: Transfer the oats to an airtight container or a sealable food storage bag. Make sure it's tightly sealed to prevent moisture loss and the absorption of unwanted odors.
- Label and Date: It's a good practice to label the container with the date when you cooked the oats. This makes it easier to keep track of their freshness.
- Reheat as Needed: When you're ready to enjoy the leftovers, you can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a splash of milk or water to maintain the desired consistency.
- Inspect Before Eating: Before consuming leftover oats, give them a quick visual and smell test. If they appear or smell off, it's best to discard them.
Storing your Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats properly ensures that you can enjoy them for a few days, making for convenient and delicious breakfasts or snacks throughout the week.
Top tips to know when making Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
here are 10 top tips to make your Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats a success:
- Choose the Right Oats: Opt for old-fashioned rolled oats for the best texture. Quick oats can become mushy, and steel-cut oats require more cooking time.
- Prep the Night Before: Save time in the morning by preparing your ingredients and placing them in the slow cooker the night before. Just refrigerate the mixture, and set the cooker to start in the morning.
- Use a Slow Cooker Liner: To make cleanup a breeze, consider using a slow cooker liner. It prevents sticking and makes washing up a cinch.
- Grease or Spray the Pot: If you don't have a liner, grease or spray the inside of the slow cooker to prevent sticking.
- Adjust Sweetness: Taste your apples before adding sugar. Sweeter apples may require less added sugar, so adjust to your liking.
- Add Liquid Gradually: Pour in the liquid (water or milk) gradually while stirring. This prevents clumps and ensures a smooth consistency.
- Experiment with Spices: Don't limit yourself to just cinnamon. Try a pinch of nutmeg, cloves, or allspice for a more complex flavor profile.
- Check Doneness: Cook times can vary depending on your slow cooker's temperature. Check for doneness after a few hours, and adjust accordingly.
- Customize Toppings: Get creative with toppings like chopped nuts, dried fruit, yogurt, or a drizzle of honey for added texture and flavor.
- Store Leftovers: Leftover oatmeal can be refrigerated for a few days. Reheat in the microwave with a splash of milk for a quick and delicious breakfast.
Remember, making Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats is as much about personal preference as it is following a recipe, so don't be afraid to tweak it to your taste. Enjoy your cozy breakfast!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: