Classic White Cake has been a favorite dessert for years and it's easy to see why! With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up this classic recipe in no time. Not only is it delicious, but it looks great too - perfect for parties or other special occasions.
Plus, it's light as air and extremely moist thanks to a delectable blend of butter, sugar, and egg whites. If you're looking for an unforgettable dessert that everyone will love, consider a classic White Cake—you won't regret it!
The classic White Cake is a staple at parties, celebrations, and special occasions
The classic White Cake is a staple at parties, celebrations, and special occasions because it is so delicious. There's something classic and comforting about this simple yet scrumptious dessert that has become a favorite amongst partygoers of all ages. Many swear by the traditional recipe with fluffy egg whites and vanilla extract, while others like to switch it up by adding more original ingredients such as raspberry or orange flavoring. But whatever version you make, this sweet delicacy is sure to be a hit at every gathering!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30-35 minutes
Yields: 10-12 slices
- The classic White Cake is a staple at parties, celebrations, and special occasions
- Ingredients needed to make the Classic White Cake
- Buttercream Frosting ingredients
- Instructions for making the Classic White Cake
- Directions for making the Buttercream Frosting
- Variations on the Classic White Cake
- Equipment used to make the Classic White Cake
- Storage for the Classic White Cake
- Top tips on making Classic White Cake
- Classic White Cake
Ingredients needed to make the Classic White Cake
- Non-stick cooking spray
½ c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ c. vegetable shortening
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 8 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 T. real vanilla extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 c. whole milk
Buttercream Frosting ingredients
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
2 t. real vanilla extract
¼ c. whole milk
Instructions for making the Classic White Cake
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with a parchment paper round. Set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add in the egg whites and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine. Add in the milk and continue mixing until smooth.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the prepared baking pans and place in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To frost the cake, first level the top of each cake layer by carefully slicing the rounded portion of the cake off. (A cake leveler works great for this). Put the leveled side down on a cake plate. Add a thin layer of the Buttercream Frosting to the exposed top side.
- Add the second cake layer, again with the leveled top side down. Add the remaining frosting to the top of the cake, slowly working it around from the middle of the cake top to the edges. Scrape some of the frosting over the edges and apply a thin layer of frosting to the sides of the cake.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Directions for making the Buttercream Frosting
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer until perfectly smooth.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and continue mixing until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
4.Slowly add in the milk, one tablespoon at a time, while mixing until reaching the desired consistency.
Variations on the Classic White Cake
When it comes to a classic White Cake, the variations are endless. You can easily customize a recipe to make it your own, or simply add different decorations and toppings to create a unique presentation fit for any special occasion. From replacing the traditional two-layer white cake with various flavored versions like lemon, coconut, or chocolate, to adding sprinkles, strawberries, or just about anything your heart desires, this dessert is incredibly versatile and easy to prepare. So the next time you're planning a party, why not make your classic White Cake stand out by trying out something fun and unique?
Equipment used to make the Classic White Cake
Storage for the Classic White Cake
Regarding storage, the classic White Cake is certainly a keeper! With the right recipe and baking techniques, you can expect your homemade masterpiece -- perfect for birthday parties or holiday desserts -- to stay fresh for up to four days when stored in the fridge. That's four more days than many of us need for even the most epic celebration! It can also be easily prepared ahead of time, meaning less stress and more focus on ensuring everyone has an enjoyable time. Armed with some knowledge of a timeless favorite, whipping up this classic White Cake is set to become your new go-to recipe.
Top tips on making Classic White Cake
If you're looking to make a classic White Cake that's sure to impress your family, friends, or party guests, then you've come to the right place. With just a few top tips and the perfect recipe, you can easily create a delicious dessert everyone will love. First, take the extra time to sift your flour twice for maximum lightness and texture. Thankfully, most recipes will indicate how many cups of flour you'll need but be sure measure accurately for best results. Also, use butter for added flavor and richness, as well as eggs for heightening. As far as baking goes, monitor your cake closely during the baking process so it doesn't cook unevenly or over-bake. With these tips in tow and the perfect White Cake recipe at hand you'll be whipping up heavenly desserts every time!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: