Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis is a delightful French dessert that effortlessly combines the sweetness of ripe cherries with the nutty goodness of almonds. This classic dessert is a rustic masterpiece, offering a taste of summer in every bite. It's easy to make, making it perfect for both novice bakers and seasoned pastry chefs. Get ready to embark on a journey of flavor that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy.
The magic of Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis doesn't stop at its traditional version. With a little creativity, you can elevate this dessert to new heights. Whether you want to add a twist of citrus zest, experiment with different fruits, or infuse unique flavors, the possibilities are endless. Here, we've compiled a list of ten tantalizing variations to take your Clafoutis game to the next level:
Juicy cherries with the nutty allure of almonds
Indulge your taste buds in the sublime world of Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis! Our exquisite recipe combines plump, juicy cherries with the nutty allure of almonds, creating a dessert that's as elegant as it is easy to make. Whether you're a seasoned baker or a kitchen newbie, this classic French treat is your gateway to culinary bliss. With each spoonful, you'll savor the essence of summer, with a perfect blend of sweet and nutty flavors. Plus, our versatile recipe allows you to get creative with exciting variations. Don't wait to treat yourself and your loved ones to a slice of pure dessert heaven. Embrace the joy of baking and savor the deliciousness of Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis today!
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ time to macerate cherries, if applicable)
Cook time: 40-45 minutes
- Juicy cherries with the nutty allure of almonds
- Ingredients needed to make Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
- How to make Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
- Variations on the Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis recipe
- Equipment used when making Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
- Storage for the Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
- Top tips for making Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
- Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis Secrets Revealed!
Ingredients needed to make Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
1 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. fresh pitted cherries
(OR 1 12-oz. bag frozen cherries, thawed and drained)
½ c + 1 T. white sugar, divided
Optional: 1-2 T. almond-flavored liqueur, such as amaretto
3 large eggs
1¼ c. whole milk
2 t. real vanilla extract
1 t. almond extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
⅓ c. slivered almonds
Powdered sugar, for dusting
How to make Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
- Grease a medium-sized baking dish with softened butter. Set aside.
Featured Baking Dish Specs: Le Creuset 16-47 Oval Baking Dish. Interior dimensions approximately 10½” x 7¾” x 2” deep (26.7x19.7x5 cm).
- If using frozen cherries, place thawed and drained cherries in a medium bowl or container and add one tablespoon sugar. Add 1-2 tablespoons of almond-flavored liqueur, if using, or gently press the cherries to release remaining liquid and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and flour to a high-powered blender. Pulse just until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and foamy. Do not over-blend.
Tip: Over-blending the batter can activate the gluten in the flour and lead to a tough, rubbery consistency. Blend just until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and a bit foamy.
- Arrange the cherries in the bottom of the greased baking dish and pour the batter on top.
- Add the slivered almonds in a single layer on top and gently press down with a spatula so they are mostly submerged in the batter, but still near the top, as shown.
- Place the baking dish in the pre-heated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Tip: Test for doneness after 35 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center to see if it comes out clean. Adjust final cook time accordingly. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar right before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis recipe
here are 10 delightful variations you can apply to your Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis recipe to create exciting new flavors and experiences:
- Mixed Berry Medley: Replace the cherries with a mix of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries for a burst of fruity goodness.
- Chocolate Lover's Dream: Add dark chocolate chips or chunks to the batter for a rich and indulgent twist on the classic recipe.
- Nectarine Almond Bliss: Swap cherries for sliced nectarines and slivered almonds for a summery, nutty variation.
- Coconut Cream Extravaganza: Incorporate coconut milk and shredded coconut into the batter for a tropical twist that's perfect for summer.
- Pistachio and Rosewater Elegance: Infuse the batter with a touch of rosewater and garnish with crushed pistachios for a fragrant and elegant Clafoutis.
- Citrus Burst: Zest oranges and lemons into the batter for a zesty and refreshing flavor profile that's perfect for brunch.
- Savory Spin: Experiment with a savory version by replacing the sugar with grated cheese, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs like thyme or basil.
- Maple Pecan Delight: Drizzle maple syrup over the cherries and sprinkle crushed pecans on top before baking for a sweet, nutty treat.
- Cardamom and Pear Fusion: Add ground cardamom to the batter and layer slices of ripe pears for an aromatic and fall-inspired Clafoutis.
- Honey Lavender Serenity: Infuse the batter with dried lavender buds and sweeten with honey for a fragrant and calming dessert that's perfect for unwinding.
Feel free to mix and match these ideas or let your creativity run wild to create your own unique Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis variations. The possibilities are endless!
Equipment used when making Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
Storage for the Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
You can store your Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis in the fridge for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container. To enjoy it later, simply reheat it gently in the oven or microwave for a few seconds until warmed through.
Top tips for making Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis
ere are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis:
- Choose Ripe Cherries: Opt for ripe, plump cherries for the best flavor. Make sure to pit them before using.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Allow your eggs and milk to come to room temperature before mixing. This ensures a smoother batter.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: Sift the flour and almond meal to prevent lumps in your batter, resulting in a silky-smooth Clafoutis.
- Rest the Batter: After mixing, let the batter rest for about 30 minutes. This helps the flour absorb the liquid and creates a better texture.
- Butter and Sugar the Dish: Coat your baking dish with butter and sprinkle it with sugar. This creates a lovely, slightly caramelized crust on the Clafoutis.
- Preheat the Oven: Ensure your oven is fully preheated before baking. Consistent heat is crucial for even cooking.
- Don't Overmix: Mix the batter until just combined. Overmixing can lead to a tough Clafoutis.
- Control the Sweetness: Adjust the amount of sugar to your taste, especially if you prefer a less sweet dessert.
- Monitor Baking Time: Keep a close eye on your Clafoutis as it bakes. It should be golden brown and have a slight jiggle in the center when done, typically around 45-55 minutes.
- Serve Fresh and Warm: Dark Cherry-Almond Clafoutis is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven or slightly warm. Dust it with powdered sugar for an elegant finishing touch before serving.
Remember, Clafoutis is a forgiving dessert, and small variations can lead to exciting results. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different fruits, nuts, and flavorings to make it your own. Enjoy your baking adventure!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: